Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Made it to the end of the road!


 Part of the Yukon River.  As you can see the ice broke up and there are still remnants of it along with the debris that was caught up when the river froze over. 
 Some of the debris left behind after the ice broke up.

An old fishing wheel used on the river.

I had the opportunity to go to the end of the road yesterday. Steese Hwy ends in the town of Circle, dead ending into the Yukon River.  The road is long, winding, and gravel.  It is only about 30 miles, but it takes a good hour to get there.  In 2004, there had been a fire that devastated parts of the land on the way to Circle.  Still many of the trees are bare and look like toothpicks sticking out of the ground. On the way back I had the privilege to see a bear.  Upon first sight as we were in a car on the road and it was in the distance I thought it was a dog.  As we got closer I realized it was just a bear running down the road.  Since my tour guide had her puppies in the car they of course began to bark and the bear took off down the hill.  It was brown or cinnamon in color, so it may have been a grizzly bear.  I was unable to get a picture of it.  Here are the pictures I did take on this trip.  Enjoy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment